Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Useful TECH hints, tips, tricks and methods.


- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Useful TECH hints, tips, tricks and methods.
Permalink  
 


I came across this info today in a thread I was reading and thought I would share it.  Then I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with useful info many have never heard of/tried.  Feel free to add whatever you find.  I think I may try the ATF-Acetone mix sometime since I have some already in the garage.


Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out
torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective
test
of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque
required to
remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission
fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now
use it
with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as
good
as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Another useful trick when having a stuck slip fit tube for a header is to melt wax into the joint, it will lubricate the joint and make the parts easier to separate.



-- Edited by cobaltchev67 on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 12:52:10 PM

__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- Big George -

Status: Offline
Posts: 5730
Date:
Permalink  
 

good tips!

__________________

George Kettler

SOLD 70 Elky 496/th400 3/.90
SOLD 68 RatVette
68 Camaro Ragtop



- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Permalink  
 

This is kind of unconventional but I thought it was an awesome and inexpensive idea.  Scroll down to Weedburner's posts about his "hillbilly slipper clutch".  I immediately thought of Loader when I saw this, and thought about trying it myself.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442492



__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Permalink  
 

I stumbled across this company in a random FB ad that came up, and they developed a fuel atomizing deflector plate for the accelerator nozzles that goes under them, and replaces the washer that goes under the nozzles.  Check out the video on their website.  Yes, it does seem spendy and most people would buy 2 of them for a mechanical secondary carb.  I'm thinking of ordering a pair.

https://www.thompsonperformance.com



-- Edited by cobaltchev67 on Thursday 30th of August 2018 07:47:58 PM

__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- GearHead -

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:
Permalink  
 

I used to keep a couple quarts of atf in a bucket to soak the heads of my wooden handled hammers, hatchets, etc. the wood swells from soaking up the oil, and doesn't evaporate out, and the blade/ head doesn't rust.

atf +3 also works to replace clutch fluid on old Hudson's. the factory calls for 50/50 motor oil and kerosene to lubricate the cork clutch, but modern atf works better.... just some useless car trivia for ya.

__________________


- GearJammer -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1116
Date:
Permalink  
 

cobaltchev67 wrote:

This is kind of unconventional but I thought it was an awesome and inexpensive idea.  Scroll down to Weedburner's posts about his "hillbilly slipper clutch".  I immediately thought of Loader when I saw this, and thought about trying it myself.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442492


 I used one of the clutch tamers on my twin turbo camaro and they work!



-- Edited by DHR Darren on Thursday 30th of August 2018 10:21:25 PM

__________________

I'm a logger, I'm not afraid of hard work. If I wanted something easy, I'd call your sister.



- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Permalink  
 

DHR Darren wrote:
cobaltchev67 wrote:

This is kind of unconventional but I thought it was an awesome and inexpensive idea.  Scroll down to Weedburner's posts about his "hillbilly slipper clutch".  I immediately thought of Loader when I saw this, and thought about trying it myself.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442492


 I used one of the clutch tamers on my twin turbo camaro and they work!



-- Edited by DHR Darren on Thursday 30th of August 2018 10:21:25 PM


 Awesome, I think everyone else here thinks it's hokey, glad you have some experience to make testimony.



__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- GearJammer -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1116
Date:
Permalink  
 

It is one of those "so simple it's stupid" parts.
Grant took a lot of effort to get me to try it. I'm glad I did.
The car went a 1.24 60' on 275s with it!

__________________

I'm a logger, I'm not afraid of hard work. If I wanted something easy, I'd call your sister.



- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Permalink  
 

I agree, it makes so much sense. I want to buy 2 and still on my list of things to buy.

I'm surprised nobody seems interested in those accelerator pump nozzle plates I posted, they seem like a good and easy thing to try to tune out stumbles and smooth acceleration.

__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- Beemer Brett - Redmond, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 6314
Date:
Permalink  
 

cobaltchev67 wrote:

I agree, it makes so much sense. I want to buy 2 and still on my list of things to buy.

I'm surprised nobody seems interested in those accelerator pump nozzle plates I posted, they seem like a good and easy thing to try to tune out stumbles and smooth acceleration.


 I want to try it on the GTO. I get a bog going from center 2 barrel to the 3 carbs. 



__________________

1966 Chevelle, 1967 GTO, 1955 210 Coupe



- Mike - Puyallup, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 2775
Date:
Permalink  
 

Brettd85 wrote:
cobaltchev67 wrote:

I agree, it makes so much sense. I want to buy 2 and still on my list of things to buy.

I'm surprised nobody seems interested in those accelerator pump nozzle plates I posted, they seem like a good and easy thing to try to tune out stumbles and smooth acceleration.


 I want to try it on the GTO. I get a bog going from center 2 barrel to the 3 carbs. 


 I bet that would be one of the most noticeable setups it fixed.



__________________

'67 Chevelle -- 383ci, Jerico DR4 4 speed -- 3.19 1st gearset, Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive, Strange S60 w/3.54 gears

'70 Camaro -- In the works 6.0L, T56, ??? ratio 8.5" rear end 



- GearHead -

Status: Offline
Posts: 127
Date:
Permalink  
 

I found this thread yesterday started in 2008 searching for something else fuel related and thought it worthwhile to share.  While at Walmart later in the day I bought a quart of Marine 2 cycle oil(around $6) with the TC-W3 rating listed in the thread.  

Trying it in the fuel tank of my 2014 Silverado which uses a little oil and to see if MPG improves any as well as clean any gunk in the fuel system or combustion chambers/ring packs, and in my Chevelle which could use the lubrication for the fuel pump(replaced the failed dried out ones awhile back) and the carburetor gaskets/seals some of which are rubber.  Both fuel tanks are getting the 1 ounce to 5 gallon ratio recommended.

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/



-- Edited by MikeB on Monday 16th of January 2023 09:03:35 PM

__________________

1967 Chevelle 

1970 Camaro (project)



- Ben #2 -

Status: Offline
Posts: 563
Date:
Permalink  
 

I ran the same 2 stroke oil in my 2001 Dodge Cummins. It’s supposed to help the injection pump live a little longer and also lowers the gelling point slightly. I think I ran about a quart per tank but that was a few years ago now so not sure if that math is right. I’ve heard of people running it like 150:1 in all their gas to help it last longer and provide extra lubrication. 

I also started mixing DEF with distilled water in my 2014 Ram as the distilled water keeps it from crystallizing. Mixed 1 quart distilled to 1 gallon DEF. Then, most of those related parts “fell off” and the truck got much faster and better mileage….



__________________

68 Malibu 307/PG. Finally now BBC, 4 speed and way faster. 



- GearHead -

Status: Offline
Posts: 127
Date:
Permalink  
 

This mix of 1oz. to 5 gallons is about 640:1.  You can also do 1 oz. per 4 gallons which is about 500:1 ratio.  In the thread it does say it took quite awhile to get the ratio right and the sweet spot for most V8s seems to be per the 5 gallon mix.



__________________

1967 Chevelle 

1970 Camaro (project)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard