Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: New motor for the Chevelle



- Doc Smokum -
- BB Emporium -


Status: Offline
Posts: 4604
Date:
New motor for the Chevelle
Permalink  
 


That's a lot. Bring the block up and let me run my dial bore gauge through it.



-- Edited by FRYNTYR on Thursday 7th of July 2016 07:42:38 PM

__________________

Welfare Nova 10.13 @ 131 N/A, can't wait for a full squeeze pass and some traction, 9's coming. 



- Beemer Brett - Redmond, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 5313
Date:
Permalink  
 

That sucks... I agree have another set of eyes on it. Im not a machinist but how do you bore/hone something out of round? Wonder if summit would have anything to say about it? Their customer service is some of the best.



-- Edited by Brettd85 on Thursday 7th of July 2016 09:06:46 PM

__________________

1966 Chevelle, 1972 K20, 1967 GTO, 1955 210 Coupe, 1969 Chevelle



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

FRYNTYR wrote:

That's a lot. Bring the block up and let me run my dial bore gauge through it.



-- Edited by FRYNTYR on Thursday 7th of July 2016 07:42:38 PM


 Thanks for the offer Doc. I think I will take you up on that.

Give me a shout next time you will be in the shop and I will run it by.

I picked up my block today so I can decide what to do.

The shop feels getting another block would be cheapest route.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Brettd85 wrote:

That sucks... I agree have another set of eyes on it. Im not a machinist but how do you bore/hone something out of round? Wonder if summit would have anything to say about it? Their customer service is some of the best.



-- Edited by Brettd85 on Thursday 7th of July 2016 09:06:46 PM


 I did buy it of CL but it was new in the crate.

Although I have had it for a few years, I may still call Summit.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Well, some time has past.

I sold the other block and bought a used virgin block for $100 and had it line honed, bored, honed, decked, etc, to the tune of $1050.

I am finally ready to assemble this thing.



-- Edited by LostNFound66 on Wednesday 2nd of November 2016 04:49:52 PM

__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- Big George -

Status: Offline
Posts: 5701
Date:
Permalink  
 

well THERE YA GO, bit the bullet but you did it right!

__________________

George Kettler

SOLD 70 Elky 496/th400 3/.90
68 RatVette
68 Camaro Ragtop



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Installed the crank tonight.

hoping to get rings on pistons and piston / rods installed this weekend.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come
Ben


- RAMBO -Mill Creek, WASite Administrator

Status: Offline
Posts: 4146
Date:
Permalink  
 

Did you decide on the cam you are going to run yet? what are the specs?


__________________

Ben R.

1968 Chevelle 300 - 454 / 4spd



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ben wrote:

Did you decide on the cam you are going to run yet? what are the specs?


 Not %100 yet.

Thinking about this  .510”/.521” lift 231°/236° duration @.050”, 111° lobe centers

could use stock style roller lifters, works with power brakes.

Not a lot of lift though



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come
Ben


- RAMBO -Mill Creek, WASite Administrator

Status: Offline
Posts: 4146
Date:
Permalink  
 

Go bigger

__________________

Ben R.

1968 Chevelle 300 - 454 / 4spd



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ben wrote:

Go bigger


 Well, that would require $500 more for lifters.

For an extra 20 HP, not thinking that is a good trade.

450 HP AND 460 TQ with the cam I listed.

 



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come
Ben


- RAMBO -Mill Creek, WASite Administrator

Status: Offline
Posts: 4146
Date:
Permalink  
 

LostNFound66 wrote:
Ben wrote:

Go bigger


 Well, that would require $500 more for lifters.

For an extra 20 HP, not thinking that is a good trade.

450 HP AND 460 TQ with the cam I listed.

 


I get it, but my answer is always go bigger.

Did you decide on heads for this yet? More importantly what TRANSMISSION are you going to order?  whip

I got paid for those galaxie seats that left on saturday, so I have the trans $$$ now... So lets order that thing so I can steal yours! biggrin biggrin

 

 

 



-- Edited by Ben on Tuesday 20th of December 2016 01:53:27 PM

__________________

Ben R.

1968 Chevelle 300 - 454 / 4spd




- wondah whooooaman-
Colorado Springs


Status: Offline
Posts: 3443
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ben wrote:
LostNFound66 wrote:
Ben wrote:

Go bigger


 Well, that would require $500 more for lifters.

For an extra 20 HP, not thinking that is a good trade.

450 HP AND 460 TQ with the cam I listed.

 


I get it, but my answer is always go bigger.

Did you decide on heads for this yet? More importantly what TRANSMISSION are you going to order?  whip

I got paid for those galaxie seats that left on saturday, so I have the trans $$$ now... So lets order that thing so I can steal yours! biggrin biggrin

-- Edited by Ben on Tuesday 20th of December 2016 01:53:27 PM


 Sooooooooooo, does this mean you want me to send you that 402a3?biggrin



__________________
Mark
69 Chevelle SS
"Carpe Jugulum"
"Only those who have never learned self-restraint fear reasonable discipline" T.R. Fehrenbach

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/showpic1.jpg
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...ium/motor2.JPG
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/breakout.JPG


- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Finally after 2 years, the short block is together

 

 



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come



- Mike -
Olalla, Wa


Status: Online
Posts: 3644
Date:
Permalink  
 

Looks good!



-- Edited by 66SSFan on Wednesday 21st of December 2016 08:02:25 PM

__________________

http://www.u11racing.com

'66 SS Chevelle LQ4/4L80E

'65 Malibu SS (Best of 10.86 @ 125mph 1.51 60')

'65 GTO 455/th400



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Thanks Mike.

Just placed a big order with summit, so I should be able to button up the bottom end.

I just need to decide on the cam. Going to make a call to Cstraub to see what he suggests.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- Beemer Brett - Redmond, WA

Status: Offline
Posts: 5313
Date:
Permalink  
 

Looks very nice. So I guess you decided to go without the windage tray?

__________________

1966 Chevelle, 1972 K20, 1967 GTO, 1955 210 Coupe, 1969 Chevelle



- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Brettd85 wrote:

Looks very nice. So I guess you decided to go without the windage tray?


 I replaced the taller bolts with new factory bolt set

the pan I ordered has crank scraper and directional windage tray built in.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Got the cam in the motor... but didn't realize there are an early and 2nd design cam retaining plate.

I had to order a 2nd design plate. Should be here in s few days.



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come


- The Craigslist Ninja -

Status: Offline
Posts: 1464
Date:
Permalink  
 

Got the short block done

And got the heads bolted on.

Almost ready to go in

 

 

 



__________________
12.03 @ 113.5 mph
11's here I come
«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard